Sunday, October 26, 2008

Thanks Badge II Award Ceremony

Today the Girl Scouts of Tanasi Council honored Mom by awarding her the Thanks Badge II. The Thanks Badge is the highest honor that can be given to an adult Girl Scout and it is given to “any adult member, volunteer or professional, who has given unusual service to Girl Scouting.” In 2005, Mom was awarded this honor at a presentation at the annual meeting of Tanasi Council. She had no idea that it was coming and, although the family received an invitation to attend, she thought it was simply because of her position on the Council Board. She told Dad not to attend and only I was there that day. Since being awarded the Thanks Badge, Mom continued to serve Tanasi Council and all of Girl Scouting. Because of her continued service, the Council presented the Thanks Badge II (“for those who, having already received the Thanks Badge for previous outstanding services, just keep on giving superior services” posthumously to Mom. Although the award was voted on before her death, she never knew of this honor. She joined a very small group in Tanasi Council who have received this honor.



The ceremony today was planned and hosted by the Smoky Shadows Service Unit (Sevier County Girl Scouts). It is impossible for our family to fully express our appreciation to all the work that was put into this event. I think I speak for Dad, Ashley and Alex when I say how touched we are at the show of love and support for the work Mom did with the Girl Scouts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stefanie,
Your mother's dedication to everything was filled with love. My thoughts are with you more than you'll ever know. Her picture hugging Hannah is right here on my desk..a treasured moment. Sending you love and hugs everyday!
Anita Long

Anonymous said...

Stefanie,

It was an honor for us to be able to recognize your mother for her gifts to Girl Scouts. She was such an influence on so many people in her lifetime. To be thought so highly of at the end of one's life is a rare and precious thing. I have a picture of your mother and Dolly on my desk and I think of her every day. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lucille