Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Words of Comfort

I received a lovely card from a dear friend in England who has lost both parents in the past two years. In the card he included a note about death that he had found comfort in. These words touched my heart and I hope they give that same feeling of hope and love to you:

"Death is nothing at all. I have only slipped away into the next room. I am I, and you are you. Whatever we were to each other, that we still are. Call me by my old familiar name, speak to me in the easy way which you always used. Put no difference in your tone, wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me, pray for me. Let my name be ever the household word that it always was, let it be spoken without effort, without the trace of a shadow on it. Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was; there is unbroken continuity. Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight? I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just round the corner. All is well."
- Henry Scott Holland
1847-1918
Canon of St. Paul's Cathedral

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,

Just wanted you to know that I'm still thinking of you and praying for you so very often. I know that tomorrow is Glenda's birthday and I'm sure she'll have a wonderful first birthday in Heaven with the Lord, her parents and her brother. But I also know that tomorrow will be hard on you. Please know that I'm lifting each of you up in prayer and sending loving thougths your way.

Happy Birthday Glenda!

I Love you guys,
Kristie

Anonymous said...

Stefanie, Thank you so much for sharing your friend's message. It was beautiful and encouraging to me. I feel like she is here with us also and that to me is so very comforting. So if anyone sees me talking and thinks I'm talking to myself, well, so be it. God has blessed our family abundantly. The small detail of a simple yellow flower for her brothers and sisters tells me that Glenda is still very much alive in her children. Thank you all for allowing us to be a part of a wonderful life. Love, Aunt Brenda

Anonymous said...

6-17-08

Dear Stefanie,

Brenda and I were in Florida with Butch and Roger on Friday 6-13-08 and we wished your mom a happy first birthday in heaven and we talked through our tears about some of our favorite memories of Glenda and how it still does not seem real to us that she is gone from our sight - we miss her terribly. Reading this information your friend sent you brought a measure of comfort to my heart. Thank you for sharing it with me. I love you and am praying for you. I also pray you will have a safe journey to Oxford this summer and will miss you bunches.....Love, Aunt Kay

Anonymous said...

Stefanie, Mr. Charlie, Ashley and Alex,

The Whigham family continues to keep all of you in our prayers. We know Mrs. Glenda had a glorious birthday with the Lord last week! Hope you all are doing well.

Love,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Stefanie and family,
Glenda was such a special person to so many and filled her life with her dear family and sharing her gifts that touched so many lives.
We thank for you sharing the many joys in her life in the slideshow and the sweet words of the poem, reminding all of us that family and dear friends are the most important part of our lives.
God bless you today and always,
Bill, Amelia and Amy

Anonymous said...

Still thinking of you guys and keeping you in my prayers.
hope your doing well .
Love Barbara&Louie